In yesterday's piece I flagged a WSJ report, sourced to unnamed US officials, that Trump had privately rejected Iran's seven-day Hormuz plan. I called it what it was: a leak, not a statement, alongside a separate US official calling the same talks "positive and constructive" the same day.
That gap closed within 24 hours. Saturday morning, Trump told reporters outside the White House: "They made a proposal, but I rejected it." He framed Iran as negotiating from weakness — they want a deal "because they're losing so badly" — and said the terms weren't acceptable, though he left the door open to negotiating further (NYT). The private WSJ account became the public record three days after Araghchi handed the plan to Qatari mediators.
Iran's response was its own reversal. On Friday, Araghchi told reporters "everything is now prepared" if the US was serious, and Pezeshkian told CBS's Face the Nation he'd allow IAEA inspectors back into Iran (The National). By Saturday, Pezeshkian was saying Tehran no longer trusts dialogue with Washington, since "the US launches attacks and imposes sanctions after every round of negotiations," and by Sunday Araghchi said Iran "will never compromise" on its seven conditions (BigGo, citing CCTV News). That's two pieces running now where the diplomatic mood didn't survive the weekend it was made in.
The oil market's reaction is the tell that this rejection is being taken as real rather than posturing. Friday's cautious optimism had already priced in some relief: Brent settled down 2.1% to $104.32, WTI down 2.3% to $92.41 — WTI's first weekly decline since late August (BigGo). Trump's on-record rejection reversed that in Asian after-hours trading: the same BigGo report has Brent surging back through $100 and WTI touching $96, gains briefly running past 3% and 4% before narrowing. Brent's prompt spread — the gap between the two nearest futures contracts, a standard tightness gauge — has widened from under $1 a month ago to nearly $7 by that same account.
The part that's actually new is what Iran did instead of waiting on Washington.
While the US channel stalled, Araghchi met Saudi FM Prince Faisal bin Farhan on the UNGA sidelines and briefed him on something Iran had already worked out with Oman directly: an understanding on safe shipping routes through the Strait of Hormuz that doesn't require a US signature (The National; Daily Sabah). Iran and Oman are the strait's two coastal states; this is Tehran showing it can make the waterway usable through regional agreement alone.
Saudi Arabia isn't waiting on the US for its own security either. Defense officials from Saudi Arabia, Türkiye, and Pakistan met in Riyadh the same weekend to coordinate intelligence-sharing, military planning, and force integration, according to wire reporting (Operativ.az) — a regional defense conversation with no American seat at the table, a week after I noted France, not Saudi Arabia's oldest patron, was the one actually sending troops.
None of this stopped the fighting: the same Operativ.az report cites the Saudi-led coalition intercepting two ballistic missiles toward Khamis Mushait and two drones toward Riyadh on Saturday. And the human cost is compounding — UNICEF said Friday that acute child malnutrition is rising sharply in Yemen as fighting disrupts access to health facilities, with more than one in four of nearly 2,900 screened children found acutely malnourished (Reuters; UN News).
So: the US-Iran track is now confirmed frozen, not just rumored frozen, and the oil market is treating that as real. But the region isn't frozen with it — Iran, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan are all building arrangements that don't need Trump's signature to function. That's the throughline worth watching next: whether a regional settlement on the strait can hold even if the US one doesn't.
Eleventh piece in this series; the tenth is linked at the top.